Friday, 20 February 2015

MISSING BUILDINGS by Thom and Beth Atkinson


I was born in 1951, only 6 years after the end of the Second World War, and I remember a number of shopping trips and other visits to central London with my mother from my home in Finchley when, from the top of the bus, I would see bombed out buildings awaiting demolition. Therefore, I found it really interesting to hear from Thom Atkinson who came to photograph me in 2009. He has told me about a self-publishing project he and his sister, Beth, have been working on. There are some pictures and information here at their imprint website - www.hwaetbooks.com

The project they are publishing is entitled Missing Buildings and, in a nutshell, it is about the physical and mythological legacy of the London Blitz. 

It is an amazing book full of wonderful, haunting pictures of these buildings. I found myself looking at the weird outlines of the missing buildings against the ones which had survived and wondering who had been living there, were they killed, what pictures had been fixed to the exposed interior of the party wall? There is so much to see and ponder on even though it is just an empty space. And now, 70 years after the end of the War, there is still a presence there.

You can pre-order one of a limited edition of 100 copies of the book individually numbered and signed by Thom and Beth Atkinson which will include a numbered and signed 10x8 print of your choice and your name will be printed in both the Limited and the forthcoming Trade Edition. To pre-order your copy, you should contact Hwaet Books direct. 




No comments:

Post a Comment