Tuesday, 9 December 2014

STAIRWELL by Lucy Kendra

STAIRWELL by Lucy Kendra

It was raining and it was cold as I stood outside waiting for Lucy. I had not seen her since my last visit to Edinburgh when we ate meringues the size of Saturn with Claudine Quinn in a cafe near what is commonly known as The Pubic Triangle. I was nervous because I love my Edinburgh friends so much and each time I go up there, I wonder if it will be as magical as the first time. I know I shouldn't think this way but I do. I put pressure on myself and them and the situation but sometimes you do silly things when you are in love - even if it is with a city. That said, I need not have worried as Lucy was as I remembered her - pretty, amusing, warm, amusing (again) and cool. Her idea was to photograph me in the stairwell of the building where she worked because the filtered light had a lovely quiet glow to it. First, we went into the room or rather, studio, where she worked which was stocked with all sorts of photographic equipment - lights, tripods, reflectors, screens, cables, cooking foil - cooking foil? Lucy and I looked at the foil and then at each other and then at the foil. We realised at that moment that the foil would feature heavily in the morning's exploits.



We had a cup of tea and then ventured out into the stairwell but Lucy found almost immediately that it wasn't going to work in the way she had envisaged as the sun was not bright enough outside. I think it was me who then had the idea of sprawling on  the stairs as if I had been attacked. Lucy liked the idea and so I positioned myself head first down the stairs. I love doing these silly things. The stairs were in constant use but everyone who came by, stepped past me very carefully and seemed quite accepting of the whole scenario.

Then we returned to the studio for more tea and got out the silver foil. I undressed and wrapped myself in the foil. I looked like something out of Doctor Who. We took a few photographs in the studio before venturing out into the corridor to the lift which we then commandeered for some more photographs. Fortunately, I couldn't see much otherwise I might have brought a halt to the silliness. We then returned to the studio where I removed the foil by performing the first foil striptease ever seen in Edinburgh to Caro Emerald's song "A Night Like This".

Lucy and me

Lucy and I had a beer I think it was the following night and we talked and we talked and we talked and we laughed and then we toddled out into the City and went our separate ways. A lovely shoot, a lovely friend and, now, a lovely photograph. What more could I ask for?

LUCY KENDRA ON VIMEO: https://vimeo.com/user9616349

No comments:

Post a Comment