Tuesday, 12 August 2014

TIM IN HIS STUDY by Rosaline Shahnavaz


TIM IN HIS STUDY by Rosaline Shahnavaz

When I came to write this post, I looked up my email correspondence with Rosaline and found that, although I had first written to her in July  2014, she had in fact first written to me in December 2013. At that time, she was working as Gabriella De Martino's assistant and Gabriella had recommended that she contact me to suggest that she take my photograph as part of the project. Rosaline was too polite to mention this when I contacted her. However, if you had seen me in December, you would have understood why I had not responded. At that time, my Parkinson's had got much worse and the number of usable hours in the day very much reduced so it is no wonder that I didn't reply although I'm sure I would have done if I had looked at her work. As it was, when I did look at her work through some links on Twitter, I was entranced. Every person is very much a part of their environment. There is a placidity in each and every portrait which shows this. And this is what Rosaline did with me. She was hardly here for any time at all but, after a quick tour of the house, she plumped for various spots that she felt were where I liked to be. And then she was gone! I hardly got to know her and her partner, Ben, who accompanied her which was a shame but, in some way, that makes her shots even more impressive.

She sent me two shots afterwards but this was the one that immediately grabbed me. It also harks back to the second photograph I had done by Mark Russell in 2007 with me sitting there surrounded by all my "stuff". And also, it is beautifully composed and captures a peacefulness in my demeanour that I noticed from her other work on her website. 

I am sitting in the same room as I write this. I have just been down to the sea but I didn't swim because the tide was too far out and it would have taken me ages to get in far enough to swim properly but there was a gorgeous moment when the sun, almost orange, rose behind the pier. I love living here and that love and the satisfaction with my lot are all part of the expression on my face in this great image. It is very representative of me. Sometimes, I feel that life is going far too fast for my liking. 

Stop this train
I want to get off and go home again
I can’t take the speed it’s moving in
But honestly won’t someone stop this train
- John Mayer

1 comment: