Sunday, 22 September 2013

SMILE by Vici Watkins

SMILE by Vici Watkins
Smile though your heart is aching
Smile even though it's breaking.
When there are clouds in the sky
you'll get by.
If you smile through your pain and sorrow
Smile and maybe tomorrow
You'll see the sun come shining through
For you.

I have to say that I rarely smile when a camera is shoved in my face. In fact, this great photograph by Vici Watkins is pretty much the nearest you get to a smile on most of my shoots. It is not that I don't like smiling but the photographer usually prefers a blank expression and then, if the shoot develops in a certain way, I might be asked to smile or merely suggest one.

Vici approached me at a Mini Click event in Brighton and we talked of the likelihood of her photographing me and we agreed to have a discussion by email and to arrange a date for a shoot. In the meantime, I looked at her website and saw the most beautiful still lives - she admitted that she hadn't done any figurative work for a while. She said that she preferred to shoot me in Brighton as the light was better there. And so it was that she came to our house on 22nd September 2013 and we had an extremely pleasant time together. She went all around the house looking for suitable locations and we ended up in the study and a bedroom as she was looking for a bare wall as a backdrop. I love the more dramatic and theatrical shoots I do but I also love these quiet portraits especially when, as in Vici's case, she has given so much thought to the shoot so that when it does take place, the images really capture the essence of me. I found Vici a very companionable person and we relaxed with each other almost immediately and that comes across in this photograph. It seems to me that it is the sign of a very good photographer if such a situation is achieved so quickly and, seemingly, so easily.

Yes, a very satisfying shoot and a marvellous photograph to boot. That rhymes doesn't it?

You'll find that life is still worthwhile-
If you just smile.


.....and she brought a delicious carrot cake with her!

WEBSITE: http://www.viciwatkins.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment