Monday, 22 April 2013

VIVA! by Adam Bronkhorst

VIVA! by Adam Bronkhorst
Once upon time, there was (and still is, children) a great little magazine published in Brighton called "Viva". Last year, at the time when Jane and I were planning our joint exhibition at Farley Farm, I wrote to the editor, Alex, and asked if he would like to interview me and Jane with a view to publicising the show. He said he would and he did. At the same time, he suggested that I contact Adam so that he could take a photograph to accompany the article in the magazine. I was slightly disappointed as I didn't know Adam from Adam and a safer bet would have been to use one of the wonderful photographs that had already been taken of me but, in the end, I need not have worried. Not only was Adam a really nice bloke to meet and spend time chatting to, he also proved himself to be an excellent photographer.

When he was ruminating as to how to approach the shoot, Adam felt that he wanted to do something a little bit different and find a way to utilise his creativity and represent his feelings about me and my condition in the image. He decided to use my illness in a way in which he could convey a sense of the disease that I live with and which is always present but which I had not (yet) allowed to take over my life. His idea was to light me, using coloured flashes and so paint me with light to create a dynamic image but also to add a second level to the picture with a faint shadow of my face to represent the ever present disease. During the exposure, when the shutter had to be open for a lot longer than usual, he asked me to move and then he fired a fourth flash with a red gel over the light in order to produce this slightly ghostly image.

Adam and Tim 

We got very well during the shoot and chatted about this and also about that. He is such a nice guy and,as it turned out, an excellent artist. He sent me just the one image and I was so pleased with it. It is strange that I live through every click and buzz of a shoot and one would think that, therefore I might want to see every shot or at least a large selection of them and yet when, as Adam's case, I receive only one, that is perfectly satisfactory. I really do defer to the photographer insofar as this is concerned. And why not, when I receive something as good as this? 

Viva Adam Bronkhorst!



No comments:

Post a Comment