Sunday, 27 February 2011

LUCKY TIM by Tom Barnes

LUCKY TIM by Tom Barnes

Tom is a one-man mobile photographic studio. He came along to the shoot on Rodborough Common near our house in Milford armed with everything including lights and remote control shutters etc. He is a lover of gadgets.

He is also a brilliant photographer and I loved the highly lit style of the unusual portrait photographs on his website. He gets very close to his subjects and then lights them up so you can really see what they are about.

He was very interested in how my illness had impacted on my life and we talked about all that in some depth whilst we tried various different poses on the common. I think he has in mind to photograph me every six months.

It is interesting that some photographers want to record my disintegration. It doesn't bother me at all and I think I might want to do the same if I was in their position. I think it has less to do with recording mortality but more about recording the fight with the illness at that particular stage or moment. I remember vividly my mother when she was suffering from dementia towards the end of her life. She sat silently at her dressing table and painstakingly put on her make up. She was so ill but her determination to keep doing what she had always done was so moving that I wished I could have recorded that moment.
http://www.tombarnesphoto.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment