Saturday, 26 February 2011

ANACHRONISM by Steven Barritt

ANACHRONISM by Steven Barritt

I saw Steven's "Anachronism" series at his degree show at Free Range in the Truman Brewery Building. He was yet another great photographer from Middlesex University. Anyway, I wrote to him in June 2009 and he confirmed that he was very interested and initially suggested he photograph me at home as he had no studio. We met in the Market House coffee bar in Spitalfields in July 2009 for a chat but it was 16th November by the time we met for the shoot. Fortunately by then Steven was back at Middlesex University studying for an MA so we used a studio there.

I think Steven used a large format camera and I just love this photograph - the light, the clarity, the formality - everything. I was very pleased with it. The project was becoming really interesting because each photograph was so different from the last. It was very exciting.

I didn't see Steven again until a year later. A photograph of me by Steve Bloom was accepted for the Taylor Wessing exhibition and I went along to the Private View at the National Portrait Gallery in November 2010 and saw a photograph by Steven which had also been accepted. Then he came up to me and said hello and we had a really nice chat. He is a great photographer and a very nice bloke.

http://www.stevenbarritt.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment